How to repair Outlook mail folder – scanpst.exe
Management tool via which Outlook lets you store messages in separate groups – databases, and they can segregate messages into folders. Each base is a separate file with the extension “pst” (or “ost”) located on your computer. Sometimes there is a situation in which a database ceases to function properly. The symptoms can be very different, such as problems with the opening of some or all of the messages lock transfer emails between folders, refusal to load a list of e-mails or displays an empty list. In these cases and others undergoing doubt the proper functioning of the database is recommended for its repair tool included with Outlook. How to repair Outlook mail folder? – Using scanpst.exe. It is a program that will help diagnose possible damage and try to perform the repair. Below you find a description of the step-by-step how to use this tool.
Repair Outlook Database – step by step
- In Outlook, you must read the location of the damaged database. By right-clicking on the parent folder of the file, select “Properties” and in the “General” tab “Advanced” button. The address can be copied from the “Name”. The location can be read also going through the Control Panel -> Mail -> Data Files. In the “Data Files”, you can read the location for the search database.
- Then you must close Outlook as it will need full access to the databases.
- Finding and running Scanpst.exe. The location of the program depends on the version of Outlook. You can try to search program by using the “Search” in the “Program Files” or “Program Files (x86)”. If this does not effect, then you should find it in the following locations:
Wersja Outlook lokalizacja Outlook 2013 - Windows 32-bit C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15 Outlook 2013 - Windows 64-bit C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15 Outlook 2010 - Windows 32-bit C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 Outlook 2010 - Windows 64-bit C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office(x86)\Office14 Outlook 2007 - Windows 32-bit C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 Outlook 2007 - Windows 64-bit C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12 Pozostałe typowe lokalizacje C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\NT
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\95
- In running the program in the “Enter the name of the file you want to scan”, click “Browse” to find a database that requires scanned. Then you start clicking “Start”.
- If the program finds errors in the database before starting the repair asks whether to create a backup copy of the database. For data security, it is worth to agree to this and specify the location of the button “Browse”.
- It remains ready to try to repair click “Repair”.
- After restarting Outlook may show additional folders “Recovered Personal Folders” or “Lost and Found”. If you are in them recovered e-mails, it can now be transferred to the appropriate folders.
- Sometimes it is necessary to use the program several times scanpst.exe.
After such actions taken, problems with the database, Outlook Mail should be resolved.